We are the Woodturners Association of Manitoba. We meet the second Thursday (usually) of each month from September through June. Please note: starting with the September 2015 meeting, WAM will be moving to the Howden Community Centre 1079 Red River Dr, Ritchot, MB. (map here)
We are a bunch of woodturning enthusiasts who meet to share ideas, challenge each other, swap wood and tools, and generally behave like kids in a candy store. Nothing excites us more than finding a new technique, tool, or chunk of exotic lumber.
We started our group in the spring of 2007. We have a healthy core of members who show up to meetings and engage in demonstrations and conversation. Come join us for woodturning and everything that goes with it.
Generally, the meeting starts at 6:30pm with an Early Bird Special, which is usually a fundamentals topic. At 7pm, we deal with whatever club business that needs to be dealt with, followed by a demonstration of a turning topic of some kind. We end each meeting with an Instant Gallery of work by our members.
Our annual membership fee is $50.
For information on joining our club, please email Gerald:
Better yet, fill out an application form and come to one of our regular meetings (see dates below and map link above) to join.
Download our colour brochure here (662kb pdf)
Where we've been:
- WAM was at Arbor Day festivities at Assiniboine Park on Saturday, May 25, 2013.
- WAM was at the Red River Exhibition on Friday, June 14 and Saturday, June 15, 2013.
- WAM was at the Prairie Canada Carving Championships on Saturday, April 5 and Sunday, April 6, 2014.
- WAM was at Arbor Day at Kildonan Park on Saturday, May 31, 2014.
- WAM was at the St. Norbert Farmer’s Market on Saturday, July 26.
- WAM was at the FortWhyte Alive Fall Festival on Sunday, September 14, 2014.
- WAM hosted well known turner and artist Sally Ault on Saturday, Oct 11, 2014.
- WAM was at the Prairie Canada Carving Championships on Saturday, April 18 and Sunday, April 19, 2015.
- WAM was at Arbor Day in St Vital Park on Saturday, May 30, 2015.
- WAM was at the St Norbert Farmer’s Market on Saturday, July 11 and Saturday, Aug 1, 2015.
- WAM was at FortWhyte Alive Fall Festival on Sunday, September 20, 2015.
- WAM did a turning demo at the Ritchot Senior Services on Wednesday, October 6, 2015
- WAM did a public turning class at FortWhyte Alive on Sunday, October 17, 2015
- WAM hosted well known turner and artist Michael Hosaluk on Saturday, November 21, 2015
- WAM was at the Assiniboine Park Conservatory to deliver some Grandma Elm pieces and do some turning on Saturday, December 12, 2015
- WAM hosted well known turner and artist Michael Hosaluk (and friends) on Saturday and Sunday, March 5 & 6, 2016
- WAM had an exhibition at the Portage and District Art Council Jan. 11 to Feb. 20, 2016
- WAM did a public demo and intro class at Bronx Park Community Centre
- WAM was at the Prairie Canada Carving Championships on Saturday, April 16 and Sunday, April 17, 2016.
- WAM was at the St Norbert Farmer’s Market on Wednesday, August 10 and Saturday, September 3, 2016.
- WAM ran an intro class at Bronx Park Community Centre in November 2016 and March 2017.
Where we'll be:
- WAM will have an exhibition at ArtsForward in Neepawa from April 5 - 28, 2017.
- WAM will be at Prairie Canada Carving Championships April 22 & 23, 2017.
|The schedule of meeting dates for the 2016 - 2017 season is:
||Early Bird Special
|September 8, 2016
||Natural edge bowl
||Shop made tools
||Off centre turning
||Inside out turning
|January 12, 2017
||Hands on tool use
||Hands on tool use
||Resin infused wood
||Year end pot luck
||Hands-on turning session